Hey all! I’ve been working at trying to summon up a post for today, but it just isn’t happening. It’s snowing once again here in PA (Friday as I write this) and I’m just feeling like perhaps it’s a good day to snuggle up with the pup instead and call it a day.
SO I’d like to leave you, instead, with a post I wrote recently about the Psalms. I feel that it is an important blog full of hope and encouraging words. And sometimes we just need that one a Friday filled with snow or a Monday (which is when you’ll be reading this!)
Wisdom (and Hope) from the Word Wednesday
When I’m having a particularly bad day or when I just need a small spark of hope, I turn to the book of Psalms in the Bible. If you read any of the Psalms you will see a pattern with each one (loss of hope, turn to God, hope restored), BUT my favorite part is seeing the Psalms as a WHOLE.
I’ve use this technique for awhile now and I thought it could perhaps help some of you, my readers, too in your search for hope, joy, love and inspiration. In the past, I’ve haphazardly scoured the Psalms looking for bits of hope that sustained me through my days. For this post, I read each Psalm and picked out the bits and pieces that spoke to me the most – and I hope will speak to you. I’m sure I’ve missed quite a bit, but I pray that this list will help you when you might be feeling low or when it just seems like no one understands. Feel free to print this out – all or a portion, share with friends and comment below with some of your own favorite passages.
This is what I see when I read the Psalms and what I recite to myself when I’m feeling low and need to know that I am not alone.
- watches over me (Psalm 1)
- is my Father (Psalm 2)
- is my shield (Psalm 3 & 7)
- fills my heart with greater joy and helps me to sleep in peace (Psalm 4)
- hears my voice (Psalm 5)
- accepts my prayers (Psalm 6)
- crowns me with glory and honor (Psalm 8)
- is my refuge and stronghold (Psalm 9 & 42)
- has made my lot secure and will not abandon me (Psalm 16)
- is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer…my shield, the horn of my salvation and my stronghold and my Savior (Psalm 18)
- answers me in my distress (Psalm 20)
- rejoices in my strength (Psalm 21)
- is my shepherd… prepares a table for me and anoints my head with oil (Psalm 23 & 45)
- is my light and my salvation – whom shall I fear? (Psalm 27)
- is my rock…hears my cries for mercy…and is my strength and shield (Psalm 28 & 115)
- blesses me with peace (Psalm 29)
- turns my wailing into dancing and clothes me in joy (Psalm 30)
- is my rock and fortress (Psalm 31, 46, 59, 62) (Do you see a theme?)
- is our help and shield (Psalm 33 & 91)
- is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit (Psalm 34)
- hears my cry and lifts me out of the pit, sets my feet on the rock and gives me a firm place to stand (Psalm 40)
- delivers me in times of trouble, protects me, sustains me on my sickbed and restores me from my bed of illness (Psalm 41)
- is my help and the one who sustains me (Psalm 54 & 55)
- has kept my feet from stumbling (Psalm 56)
- does not reject my prayers (Psalm 66)
- is a God who saves (Psalm 68)
- hears the needy (Psalm 69)
- holds me by my right hand, guides me with His counsel and is the strength of my heart (Psalm 73)
- is a sun and a shield and bestows honor and favor (Psalm 84)
- is my dwelling place (Psalm 90)
- supports me, consoles me and brings me joy (Psalm 94)
- his love endures forever (Psalm 100, 107, 118, 136, 138)
- is near to all who call on Him, upholds all who fall, is faithful to His promises, is loving towards all He has made, and watches over all who love Him…upholds the cause of the oppressed, gives food to the hungry, gives sight to the blind, sustains the fatherless and the widow, frustrates the way of the wicked and reigns forever… heals the brokenhearted, calls each of the stars by name, sustains the humble, supplies the earth with rain and makes the grass grow, delights in those who fear Him… (Psalm 145, 146 & 147)
So, you see, I am hopeful because the Lord does and is all these things. Again, I pray you will take Him into your heart today and believe all these things for you as well. He is offering it all to you – won’t you accept today?
“May my meditation be pleasing to Him…” (Psalm 105) and “Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.” (Psalm 150)