Hey folks – it’s been a long winter. I think I’ve mentioned that a few times now, but as I look out on yet another gray day I thought I’d indulge a bit because – at least it’s Friday!
We all have them – guilty pleasures. Most of mine relate to eating, but a few of them may surprise you so I thought I’d have a little fun this Friday and write down my Top 10 Guilty Pleasures. Feel free to share one of two of yours in the comments section!
- Nachos. In almost any form. There are my go-to food indulgence for several reasons. a) who doesn’t like carbs and cheese? b) it’s a quick, easy snack and c) salty goodness. I’ve had my fair share of a variety of nachos in my day, but the ultimate nacho experience was at Smokey Joe’s restaurant in Lancaster when I was in college (sadly the restaurant is no longer there). They made a nacho dish that included smoked BBQ brisket and the best, crispiest chips you’d ever desire. I’ve seen that another local chain restaurant (Applebee’s maybe?) has started a BBQ Brisket nacho… I might have to try it, but I doubt it’ll be as good.
- Real Housewives of almost anything. Yep. I’m a Real Housewife junkie. I can’t help myself. These women are all insane and it’s like watching a train wreck. It makes me feel better about myself most of the time. They all have more money than I do and yet can’t even function in their lives HALF as well as I do. Amazing. Bethenny Frankel is my favorite though (let the hate comments begin!) because she’s pulled herself up by her bootstraps so many times it’s not funny AND she says it like it is. I wish I had the gall to do that on many occasions. So glad she’s back on RHONY!
- Snuggling my pup. My little guy is such a snuggler. He never used to be, but he’s getting older and a bit more frail so he loves to be on Momma’s lap more now and, I must admit, I love it. I will put off making dinner, doing work and even spending time with my husband for a few moments of furry warmth.
- Scandal. The TV show – not the actual stuff. Olivia Pope’s messed up life (and SO WRONG affair with the President) makes me happy. Although everything about this show flies in the face of my Christian beliefs I love it. I truly think it might just be for the wonderful writing because these people think of some AWESOME twists. (Almost as good as “Lost” – oh how I miss that show…)
- A good cup of tea. I’ve tried many and few live up to the standards that I employ for a good cup of tea. I used to like Earl Grey, but it’s lost its appeal for me. Lady Grey is good. I hate ALL fruit flavored teas – that’s just ridiculous. Right now I’m into the English Breakfast tea. It’s super strong and I love it. My dream is to go to London and have a proper cup of tea with a Brit. Lisa Vanderpump would be my first choice (although I guess I could just go to LA for her…)
- A Long Hot Shower. Usually I’m in and out of the shower in a heartbeat. My husband even comments that I take so little time in the shower. But when that last bit of tension in my neck won’t go or I have a bit of a headache or I just need a few, quiet moments to myself… I stand under the hottest water I can stand and just let it wash away everything.
- Social Media. Dear God I love it. I love everything about it. I love finding new awesome blogs, meeting interesting and intriguing people and being able to easily communicate with anyone – around the world! I spend way too much time on it and should probably disconnect my Wi-Fi sometimes, but it’s just so AWESOME.
- Listening to cheesy music. Over the weekend I had a long drive and I decided to just listen to some tunes to keep my mind occupied. My choice: Barry Manilow. Yep, I’m a Fanilow. I belted out every single tune on my greatest hits CD. And Copacabana was NOT my favorite. I love the slow, I’m-so-sad-without-you tunes like “Looks Like We Made It” and “Even Now”. (“Looks like we made it, Left each other on the way to another love, Looks like we made it, Or I thought so till today, Until you were there everywhere, And all I could taste was love the way we made it…” HA! Cheese city.)
- The Food Network. Okay so most of mine revolve around TV actually… interesting. I love the Food Network, but mostly Chopped and TripleD (Diners, Drive-ins and Dives). Chopped is my real favorite because I love seeing what the chefs can do with the crap they are given. It gives me inspiration to cook something exciting for dinner! Sadly, my husband HATES the Food Network because it makes him hungry.
- Yelling obscenities. Hey I bet you didn’t see this one coming? I actually really hate vulgar words and I’m a mostly reformed potty mouth, but there is nothing more liberating than just letting loose with the expletives. I mostly do this in the car. And even when I’m not driving. Be forewarned.
So there you have it. Did any surprise you? Any that we have in common? I must admit – even writing this list was a bit of a guilty pleasure because it was so much fun! YOUR TURN!