If you’ve spent any time on social media I’m sure you’ve seen some tripe about sharing God’s love, lest you show God that you don’t love Him! Or maybe you’ve seen, “Share this message to receive God’s blessing on you today!” We’ve gotten so distracted by shiny graphics that we’re agreeing to false, mixed messages. Sometimes we send them on “just because” or we think if something just mentions God we should share it figuring people need to see “God” written down to get ANY message. But we’re sending the WRONG message! Here are a few tips every Christian should remember.
- Horoscopes are not of the Bible. I’ve seen so many “Christians” on social media share their horoscopes. Maybe you think it’s harmless. I used to read them myself, but, frankly, they said they same, vague thing every day. As I studied more about my faith, I found that God does not want us to put our faith in divinity such as horoscopes. In Deuteronomy 18:10-15 it warns against seeking truth from “secret ways.” To try and predict the future is to not trust in God. GotQuestions.org gives a great explanation by saying, “Faith in anything besides God is misplaced” and “Consulting a horoscope is a violation of God’s means of communicating with His children.”
- Sharing a Facebook post doesn’t mean you love Him more than the next guy. I’ve seen way too many posts chastising me that, if I don’t share the post, God will know I don’t love Him. God and I have a relationship that transcends social media. I speak right to Him anytime I want. He can FEEL my love for Him in all that I do – including NOT sharing a lame, condescending and manipulative post.
- God’s blessings aren’t like snacks from a vending machine. When you put a quarter (or six) in a vending machine you can get whatever your heart desires from the machine. A candy bar. A bag of chips. A soda. But God doesn’t work that way. You can’t simply put more in the offering plate to get the blessing you want, you can’t do loads of charity work, say extra prayers or share a Facebook post and expect that new car you’ve been dreaming about. God doesn’t work that way. He wants to bless us every day, but it’s sometimes not in the ways we think. Just like sending out a chain letter won’t guarantee you win the lottery – you can’t do anything to get God’s blessings. He wants to give them to you freely (but He knows what you need and it probably isn’t that new car.)
- There are angels, formerly of this world, watching over us. Okay. This one is hard. I know if you’ve lost a loved one you would like to believe that they walk beside you and comfort you on a daily basis. It’s hard for me to discredit that because I’ve sometimes felt the presence of my own grandmother – or perhaps it’s more accurate to say that I thought she had directed something to happen in my life. It is a comforting thought, I won’t deny it. But let me say two things: 1) God created angels as His agents to carry out His will on earth. There is no biblical evidence to show that any of them were previously human. 2) If you died and were present with the Lord – no more pain, no more sorrow, the strife of this world GONE – would you want to come back to this crappy world? Seriously, heaven is going to be SO much better than here. YOU won’t miss your loved ones. It’s the ones left on earth that do that. I know it’s hard to accept, but see this page for more and read 2 Corinthians 5.
- Some people know when the world is going to come to an end. Nope. Not true. Remember all those folks who believed Harold Camping – who predicted when the world would end TWICE. Right. He was wrong both times. But many believed him and followed him and PAID HIM MONEY. There was even those books that said they knew the “code” that the Bible had in it to predict the end of the world. Nope. Don’t believe anyone who tells you that – EVER. Do you know why? Because of Matthew 24:36 – But no one knows the day or the hour. No! Not even the angels in heaven know. The Son does not know. Only the Father knows. Even JESUS didn’t know. Only God knows. Don’t be fooled.
So what does all of this show us? For me, it’s taught me to direct my thoughts more to the words of God – the Bible. He might not tell us when the end of the world is coming, but He does tell us so much more in His word. Reading the Bible is the one sure way to know God and all He has in store for us. By reading and learning His text, we can ensure a closer relationship with Him and have a more solid foundation on which to stand. Don’t be fooled by imitators – seek out only His word for your life and you will not be led astray.