My husband and I have heard the phrase, “Choose the lesser of two evils” in connection with the upcoming election. So much so that we began wondering, “Which candidate is that exactly?” We assume that the professors of this mantra are referring to a biblical standard (many of these folks are Christians), so we thought, “How could we use the Bible to show us which is the ‘lesser of two evils’?”
We figured the Ten Commandments would be a good place to start, so we went through the list and this is what we found – may it help you, in some way, make your decision this coming Tuesday.
(From Exodus 20, NASB)
- “You shall have no other gods before me.” – Well, both major party candidates seem to fall short on this one. Each seem to have additional gods they worship – money, power, prestige, themselves… So I guess they’re even on this one.
- “You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. You shall not worship them or serve them...” – I think we can agree that both candidates may not be carving their own idols, but they certainly bow down and worship things other than the Lord. Like images of themselves in the mirror, for instance.
- “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.” – I don’t know either candidate personally and I’m not going to research every interview to see if they’ve done this, so let’s give both a pass on this one.
- “Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.” – Well, we’re all sinners, I think, when it comes to this one. Who among us hasn’t done some work on a Sunday? (Or Saturday, depending on what your Sabbath is.) I think we can agree, again, that both candidates obviously work, especially during this campaign, on the Sabbath.
- “Honor your father and your mother” – I think both candidates do this. They’ve both spoken especially about their hardworking fathers with respect.
- “You shall not murder” – Okay, so this is where it gets tricky. A lot of us think Mrs. Clinton committed murder during the whole Benghazi thing and there have been other incidents she’s been involved in, too. No, she didn’t commit the actual murder, but she was part of the situation and could have stopped it. (In addition, she is for the murdering of babies in the womb. Let’s not argue with this one – we know it to be a fact.) I don’t think Mr. Trump has any blood on his hands, per se, but I think he’s had murderous intent a couple of times. (Telling people to go beat others up, for instance.) I’m going to say, though that Mr. Trump, here, is currently the lesser of two evils.
- “You shall not commit adultery” – Mr. Trump has quite the checkered past when it comes to this. I don’t think we can say he hasn’t committed adultery. Matthew 5:28 states, “…everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.” So…I think we can count Mr. Trump on that technicality. I don’t know about Mrs. Clinton on this one…let’s say they are now even.
- “You shall not steal” – HA! Well, ahem, sorry. I don’t think either of them have upheld this one.
- “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor” – Have we watched any of this campaign? I think they’re both out on this one, too.
- “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife or his male servant or his female servant or his ox or his donkey or anything that belongs to your neighbor” – Oh, there is coveting going on. Both are guilty here, too.
Well…that makes ten and neither are on top. Funny. SO…which IS the lesser of the two evils we’ve been given? I still can’t say that I am able to make a distinction. (For additional fun, see how many Fruits of the Spirit these two candidates display. I bet you’ll be disappointed.)
But I’ll leave you with this: There are MORE than TWO choices. Oh, it’s been whittled down you say. Oh, we can’t vote for anyone else – it’d be a “throwaway”… These statements – the lesser of two evils and the throwaway – are rhetoric that others want you to believe. I’m asking you to educate yourself. EDUCATE yourself. Google is a great thing, folks. THINK for yourselves. There ARE other choices. You still have time to find out who they are and decide how you can truly make a good choice for this country. And, please, let God, and His Word, be your guide.
Want to check the ballot in your area? Go to https://g.co/kgs/q44NuQ and check out ALL your choices.